Thursday, September 29, 2011

Write On Wednesdays - Scar Tissue

 

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their support last week. It was definitely one of my favourite writing experiences. Apologies to anyone that I missed out on commenting on; I have very limited Internet access at the moment so I tend to flit around to a couple a day.

 

Now for this week;

Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers


Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you 'cause
With the birds I'll share
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view

Push me up against the wall
Young Kentucky girl in a push-up bra
Fallin' all over myself
To lick your heart and taste your health 'cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view...

Blood loss in a bathroom stall
Southern girl with a scarlet drawl
Wave good-bye to ma and pa 'cause
With the birds I'll share
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view

Soft spoken with a broken jaw
Step outside but not to brawl
Autumn's sweet we call it fall
I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl and
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view...


Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you 'cause
With the birds I'll share
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view...
 
 
 
 
Now, I'm well aware of the actual meaning of this song, having read Anthony Kiedis's book with the same title. But I have interpreted in my own way, not feeling comfortable with the themes of drug use and self harm. Rather I am going to focus on the theme of loneliness.


image credit


The room shrank, until it had enclosed him in a bubble. He could not escape, could barely move from the lethargic stupor he had forced himself into.

The fan whirred slowly, depressingly. He watched from underneath his half closed eyelids. Feeling almost hypnotised by it's cycle.

His room stank. Uneaten food, filthy sheets and the sour, unwashed smell of his own body. He didn't notice. He didn't care. He was trapped within the confines of his own mind. A prisoner of his thoughts. Jailed by his isolation and loneliness.

He searched his tender brain, examining and probing, finding the weaknesses within. Silently cursing himself for his stupidity in losing her. Because it was him; all him, all his fault. He had made the decision that sent her away. He had weakened and given in to temptation again. 

He had accepted that she would be there forever. That she would never leave. That she would put up with the abysmal way he had treated her. That she would tolerate his party lifestyle, his cheating, his careless words, his vicious mood swings.

It had come as a shock when she had walked out. He had thought she would return...but she hadn't. Days turned into weeks, weeks had now turned into months. But still, she had stayed away. She had vanished from his life...seemingly forever.

Footsteps echoed in the hallway outside his room. He turned his back to the door, preparing to ignore the intrusion.

A tentative knock.

Then, a voice...her voice.

'David......it's me'


OK, so admittedly I'm not being overly true to the lyrics here. But this is what I came up with! Head over to inkpaperpen to see how the rest of the WoWers went!

5 comments:

  1. I love how you describe his personality with such concrete words! The essence of this piece is haunting and you did a great job with keeping me on the edge of my seat. Would love to know what happens when he opens the door....Or IF he opens the door.
    Fantastic job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't expect that at the end. I'd love to know what happens next and, if they do try again, will he have learned his lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chili Peppers, and love your interpretation. I wonder why she's back...
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great song!
    I want to know why she has come back. Maybe she's just forgotten her ipod. It can't possibly be that she's forgiven him, can it?
    The ending was a bit of a surprise, I felt that the main character was only just approaching that stage of realising the error of his ways, but whether or not he'd make a change or resist it I wasn't sure!
    The emotions you depicted here I think would be very true if the situation was in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope she's just forgotten her ipod! Maybe you could write a piece about why any woman would return (and they do!) But you definitely caught the sense of despair at the end of a relationship - there's been a lot of that this week.

    great song too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like Chocolate Cake...I can't get enough!