Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Write On Wednesdays......A Rewrite.



Write on Wednesday Exercise 14 - The Mighty Mighty Rewrite...
Zanni: I did a workshop with literary author Mj Hyland, who teachers Masters in Creative Writing at Manchester University. She asked us to choose our favourite book, take the first paragraph and then write our own content into the paragraph, keeping the structure, tone, language etc. It's really helpful!

No time limit. Let's keep up the focus on making each word count. Ready? Set? Write!




So, when I read this week's prompt for WoW I have to admit my heart sank just a little; Rewrite the first paragraph from your favourite book? It's kind of like choosing between my children. Finally I settled on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen as it is one of my favourites. Rewriting any part of this book was going to be a hard call, it is just so beautifully written....but the first paragraph? The opening quote from this novel is famous, as we all know seeing it was featured on inkpaperpen last week. I hope and pray that I haven't completely slaughtered it....Sorry Jane!




'It is truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.'



Being filthy rich can be an absolute drag. Most of society 'assumes' that I need a good man to share it with. Family members despair at my single status. My friends constantly try to set me up with every eligible drop kick they know. All I know is that I'm happy dancing to the beat of my own drum thank you very much.



As you can probably tell I struggled a bit with this one!
Pop over to inkpaperpen to check out the rest of this week's entries.......

15 comments:

  1. You did a great job with this. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Drop kicks, I've met a few", love it Lene! Oh, how I can relate to this. That is really good. I don't think you struggled at all. Love the comment too about choosing your favourite book is like trying to choose one of your children! LOL I'm a bit like that with a favourite song.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good going up against Pride and Prejudice :). It's also one of my favorites. Your piece was really interesting. It sounds like it would make a funny story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you used a woman's perspective for your re-write - I actually considered using P&P for this exercise too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P&P is one of my favourites too but I decided to stay clear of Jane Austen. Well done on being so brave! I really liked your 'feminine perspective'. Marching to the beat of your own drum is awesome, I think I need to do some more of that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much! Taking on P&P was probably a little ambitious of me, but sometimes we need to do these things. I wanted it from a feminine perspective as I wanted a filthy rich female rather than a male. I also tried to modernise this as much as possible.

    Thank you all so much for commenting...I'm off to visit everyone else to see how they went.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Lene - I wouldn't have been game enough to try the classics (hence why I chose a nice easy romance ;) I think you did a great job putting the female spin on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good spin on a classic introduction :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the colloquial way in which you wrote it. Good on you for having a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to this! Er except the whole 'being rich' bit. I also enjoy dancing to the beat of my own drum, and also being single. Great paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are indeed a brave woman taking on the the most famous first line ever written! I love this book & considered it, but was not as brave as you. Your piece made me laugh, I really enjoyed it. Great job!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Jane Austen!! One of my favorites!!
    You did a fantastic job! I loved how you made the character differ a little from the original. Nice work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know if it just me struggling with English but I just think the last line "thank you very much" gave me a giggle..hehe

    Love it Lene!

    Smiles,


    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked it! It made me laugh too and I liked the modern feel to an old classic. Great work! You really challenged yourself, Lene but you did yourself justice

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was an excellent modern spin! Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like Chocolate Cake...I can't get enough!