Tuesday, September 6, 2011

American Pancakes


Please excuse my dodgy photography!

Pancakes are a staple in this house. They are the breakfast of choice on a Sunday morning and if the children return from school 'absolutely starving' - as children often are - I'll make them for afternoon tea.

Served with blueberries, raspberries or simply maple syrup and butter - These pancakes are divine. They take a matter of minutes to prepare with the most basic of pantry ingredients. They are fluffy and light and delicious.

Ingredients;

3 large eggs
1 cup sifted plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
140mls milk
2 tbsps caster sugar (if you would prefer savoury pancakes, leave the sugar out)
Pinch of salt
A few teaspoons of butter for cooking

Separate the three eggs; yolks into one bowl, whites into another. In the bowl with the yolks add the flour, baking powder, sugar and milk and whisk until you have a thick batter.
Beat the egg whites and salt with an electric beater until stiff peaks form.
Fold the whites gently into the batter - the batter should look quite foamy - don't be put off by this, I promise these pancakes will be perfect!

Heat a fry pan on a reasonably high temperature (med/high) and melt the butter. Pour in the batter, either making large or small pancakes - whichever you prefer (I tend to make smaller ones as they are easier to handle) once bubbles start to come to the surface flip the cake and cook for a minute on the other side. Continue to do this until all of your batter is used. Serve warm with lashings of maple syrup, berries or even ice cream for dessert!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to keep this recipe Lene. Always on the look out for a good pancake recipe. I've got a dirty little secret and that is I love the Macca's pancakes but have never been able to replicate them at home. I've got my bulk pancake recipe but it's not the same. Thanks mate!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would eat pancakes all day every day if he could. Your recipe is similar to mine but I always add a drop (or 2!) of vanilla as well. I also use a recipe that has buttermilk, that is when I can get hold of the buttermilk!

    Happy Thursday!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like Chocolate Cake...I can't get enough!