Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thank Goodness for Little Boys....

When Mr 5 was born and they handed his wriggly and screaming little body to me it was apparent quite quickly that he was a boy.

Firstly he had a huge noggin that greatly resembled his Fathers. Secondly he had a penis. Thirdly he proceeded to poop all over me. Such is the charm of boys.

A boy! I was overjoyed. Then, slightly perplexed....What does one do with little boys? Or more to the point how does one deal with a little boy's private parts?

I'm used to girls. For starters I am one. I also grew up in a female dominated household (sorry about that Dad) My first child was a girl. Girls are well, familiar.

Not that girls are easier...not in the slightest.

Admittedly I did have a reasonable amount of experience with my stepson; who I have known and loved since he was three. But he was well out of nappies by that stage, and I generally let his Dad deal with any 'boy issues'

But what to do with a little chap all of my very own?

The first time I scored a face full of wee was a shock to the system....I had no idea boys could pee so far.

Rather than make all the chitter-chatter noises my big girl had made he uttered the one noise continuously 'Brrrrrm, Brrrrrm, Brrrrrrm'

He was greedy and gulped his milk down rapidly. He would tug painfully if I wasn't fast enough.

Despite these few interesting traits he was a delight, a joy. After the debacle filled first few years that was Miss 8's start to life ( which was wonderful...but exhausting) he was easy going, drama free.

He followed a routine like clock work. Ate when he supposed to. Slept when he was tired. He was the only child of mine to sleep through the night before 12 months of age.

He always has been a cuddly, snuggly little thing. Sensitive and cautious...just like his big brother. Sometimes a bit sooky. A temper I can only describe as volatile. A natural ability to care and think of others. One of his favourite things to do is curl up into my lap for a 'snuggle' with his thumb firmly place in his mouth ( I know, I know, still sucking his thumb at five.....we're working on it)

Don't get me wrong; he is a real 'boy's boy'. He loves cars, footy, building things. He idolises his Dad......and Lightning McQueen. He loves wrestling and thinks that girls stuff is 'the worst ever'. Once he spent an entire day outside catching stink bugs......charming.

His head is like a battering ram. He is constantly hitting it on things, bumping it, knocking it. I have had more hospital visits with him than with the other three combined. His head is criss-crossed with little scars from his accidents.

Having boys has been an incredible learning curve. The girls are more stubborn, determined and high maintenance. they push boundaries that the boys wouldn't dream of pushing. I love my girls, they make life sparky and amazing, but it is nice to shift down a gear that is life with boys.

Granted not all boys (or girls) are made the same. But my boys make my world a softer and gentler place. I'm really grateful that mine are the special little men that they are.


You can read my post on my special little girls here.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your boy and mine are two peas in a pod Lene! He's exactly the same and I was the same. I didn't know what to do with him when he was born and still don't know. He wants me to play cars with him and I don't really know what to do. I'll kick a ball with him and chase him but best of all I love to cuddle and snuggle him. He's getting too old for kisses for Mum now. Boo hoo!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this and scrolling through your blog ... so to make sure I get to read more, I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh boys vs girls - thay are so different!... have read both your boy and girl post. My girl is mischief too and she is only 1.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like Chocolate Cake...I can't get enough!