Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Onion Rings



If I had just found out that today would be my last day on Earth I would be just slightly preoccupied with what I would enjoy for my last meal. I love food and there are so many meals that I would consider to be my favourite; Roast Chicken, Chocolate Cake, Shepherds Pie, Sticky Date Pudding, Apple Pie, Green Thai Curry....I could go on forever. There is one meal however that I would go to the ends of the earth for and it is the meal I would choose if my hours were numbered, (surprise, surprise it isn't a dessert!) My Last supper would be a enormous T-bone steak with mushroom & pepper sauce and onion rings. Oh yum! I'm drooling just thinking about it!

I love a beautifully cooked T-Bone and I love crispy, crunchy onion rings alongside. Here is my favourite recipe adapted from how my Mum makes them.....

Onion Rings
1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 x 375ml bottle of beer
Vegetable Oil
2-3 Medium onions, cut into rings and separated
Extra salt to season.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk in beer until the batter is smooth.

Add enough oil in a large saucepan, deep-sided fry pan or wok to immerse your Onion rings in. Heat to 190C (place a tiny segment of bread or potato into the oil to test it - if it sizzles like crazy it's ready)

Dip the onions into the batter one at a time them place straight into the hot oil. Deep fry for several minutes until golden brown and crispy. Cook in several batches, changing the oil if you feel you need to ( I didn't bother, but I'm just lazy) Drain the rings on paper towels and then serve with lashings of salt and of course your massive T-Bone ( a nice, cold beer wouldn't go astray either)

If you had to choose your last supper what would it be?

6 comments:

  1. I've never had onion rings, but I'm not a massive fan of onion.
    My last meal? I have no idea! It's just too hard to decide...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of onion either BUT these don't taste like strong onion, they have a really mild flavour. The crispy coating seems to balance out the astrigent tone of the onions. A tip I forgot to add is to soak the onion rings in milk for an hour before cooking and this tones down the onion even more. I don't always do this as I like the taste as is.
    So hard to choose a last meal, isn't it? So much to choose from!
    Thanks for stopping by to comment! xx Lene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo, I've only ever had crumbed onion rings, never with a beer batter.
    The beer battered ones would be fricken delicious.
    My last meal would have to be a baked dinner with a side of all of my favourite take away food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good baked dinner and a side of my favourite take away Thai would top it off nicely! Great last meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate it from Tempo ;)

    Here is my page printing quantities

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks from Macosquin ;)

    Here is my web page ... flyer printing services

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like Chocolate Cake...I can't get enough!