Monday, May 9, 2011

Sticky Chocolate Cake with a hint of coffee.







I made this cake yesterday.....for Mother's day...... for myself. When it came out of the oven I was disappointed. It looked flat. Not the beautifully fluffy and high creations I usually yield in my kitchen. Then, I tasted it and all of my misgivings were thrown out the window. It was divine, delicious, perfect I tell you. I've learnt my lesson well and truly....you can't judge a cake by it's cover!



Sticky Chocolate Cake with a hint of coffee.........


125 grams butter


100 grams dark chocolate


1/2 cup of water


1 1/2 tbsps cocoa


1/2 tsp instant coffee


3/4 cup caster sugar


1 egg


125 grams self raising flour



Place butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, water and sugar in a saucepan over low heat.


Gently stir until melted and combined. Cool slightly.


Add egg and whisk in well.


Whisk in flour and ensure there are no lumps.


Pour into a greased cake tin and bake at 180C for 45 minutes or so ( I always check after 30 minutes)



Top with this rich and delectable icing;


Ganache icing


200 grams dark chocolate


1/2 cup cream



Heat cream in a sauce pan until it begins to boil. Break up chocolate into a small heat proof bowl. Tip the cream onto the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and the icing is thick. Cool and then ice the cake with this glistening confection.





I named this "Sticky Chocolate Cake" as it made everything in my house sticky, the children, my kitchen, my table, chairs and me!


2 comments:

  1. Sheesh! This looks incredible... decadent...but incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yuuuuuum!!! Thanks for the recipe, I'll definately be using that one. Did I mention....yum!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like Chocolate Cake...I can't get enough!